Monday, September 25, 2006

Freshers Week Over

It's back to reality for me as today was the first day of classes at the University of St. Andrews. After eight straight days of total partying, I had to get up nice and early this morning for breakfast and then head off to my first class, medieval History. Before I go into more details about my classes, let's take a look back at probably the most fun I've had in a week in my entire life:

-Played golf on real Scottish links
-Played football in a country where it is actually appreciated
-Purchased alcoholic beverages at a bar
-Consumed too much of said beverages
-Bought my own groceries
-Woke up at 1 in the afternoon with very little recollection of the night before
-Picked up a slight Scottish accent
-Played extreme rounders (American Football and Baseball in one)
-Watched "Top Gun", my dorm's "Official Movie"
-Drank tea (it's not very good, but better than coffee)
-Joined Golf, Sunday League Football, Table Tennis, and Breakaway (Hiking) clubs
-Shorted my room's circuits with one of my electric adapters
-Met numerous guys and girls from all over the world (Singapore, Australia, Scotland, Italy, Connecticut, L.A., Canada, Germany...)

So, now for my classes. My first was medieval History, which sounded moderately interesting, and I'm sure will get a lot better. The good news is that throughout the semester, there are a total of about nine or ten lecturers, so it won't be the same old boring Englishman teaching every single day. Another good feature of this class is that it is only 3 lectures a week as opposed to five for Geography and Geoscience. My next class was called "Foundations of Geography", and is quite a long way to walk for the ten minutes I have to get there, but it's manageable. This seems like a very good subject. I especially look forward to "human geography" which looks at how we as a people inhabit, utilize, and change the land. Finally, there is Geoscience, which is similar to Geography, but deals more with rocks and volcanoes and how the earth was shaped into what it looks like today.

Other than that, there is nothing much more to say. I'm settling in nicely and am really having a great time. If you ever have any questions you would like me to answer feel free to email me or use the comment link on the blog. Cheers!

1 comment:

Uncle Jeff said...

Spencer,

Congrats on making it through your first week of College. Imagine when you come back to the states, that you will not be able to buy your own liquor. BTW have you tried any whisky yet? Great gift to bring your Uncle (hint).

Jack, Sarah, Nick and I went to Magic Mountain last weekend. The new ride, Tatsu, is really fun. Lines weren't too bad, especially on Sunday. Jack and Nick went on Goliath 6 times in a row. A new personal record for them both.

Have fun and don't forget to study!

Uncle Jeff