Saturday, September 18, 2010

Old Rusty Ladders

Friday was a big day, starting of course with my morning trip underground with Phillimon and Leonard. This time we would be travelling up to 5 and 4 level from the 6 level entrance, so I got to enjoy my first experience with the ladders.

The basic structure of the mine consists 14 levels that run roughly north-south at various lengths between 400 and 1500 meters. All these main "drive shafts" run more or less along the angling Klipwal shear zone, which is where most of the gold seems to be hanging out. Each level is connected by a vertical shaft which runs through the center of the mine as the main artery, carrying ore, equipment, and people out of the mine. The only problem at the moment is that the elevator in the main shaft is broken at the moment. This is why we get trucked down to the 6 level adit, opening up in the side of the mountain below, to enter the mine. This is also why travelling from level to level while underground means using the series of ladders, like the one pictured below: (It took a ludicrously long amount of time to upload this pic so enjoy!)



Towards the north end of 6 level, I found myself with Phillimon and Leonard staring up at a rusty ladder disappearing into the blackness above. This was the way up to 5 level, so we started climbing. At first the ladders were fairly angled, but got steeper on the way up. Each step I made was completed with extreme care, and I could tell P and L were waiting behind me, but I took my time. The ladders worked their way up a cramped, near-vertical shaft and switched sides of the shaft every 5-10 meters, where there was a large steel beam to rest on if one was to get tired. Methodically I made my way up until eventually I hit 5 level, 40 meters above where we had started. It seems a lot longer than 40 meters!

Eventually we were done looking around 5 level, so we found the ladders to 4 level and began the ascent. This time, P and L went first because they had never been to 4 level (one of the older parts of the mine), and it was potentially dangerous on the way up. The picture above was taken when Phillimon scouted ahead and Leonard and I were resting on the ladders about halfway up the 40 meter vertical shaft. Shortly after this photo was taken, Phillimon yelled down to say it was unsafe. I later learned from him that at the top of that ladder shaft, there was a large boulder perched dangerously on the steel frame supporting the top of the ladders. Lovely.

Now fortunately the vast majority of my further excursions underground will be down below 6 level, which has much newer and less corroded infrastructure, namely the ladders. These shafts are well travelled by the miners here and are allegedly much safer, but it sure was exciting to get my first taste of the ladders on one of the scarier parts of the mine. It's been a steep learning curve here with everything that I've been doing at the mine, and the ladders were certainly no exception!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Doug, it sounds like you're having an awesome time man. Keep your mind open and eyes peeled. I also found this dating website for miners http://meetaminingman.com.au/ but it looks like it's under maintenance, so guess you're out of luck for the moment.

Unknown said...

Sounds like you're having fun!! Stay safe and bring back lots of gold!x